Hello. I am a just person, sitting in front of a laptop, trying to work out how to use this thing.
Here are some words that I am pretending someone else has written…
Elaine Malcolmson was born and raised in Northern Ireland, spent time in Wales, and has lived in Glasgow for over 10 years – she’s the first to admit you’ll be lucky to understand a word she says! She has appeared at the Big Tickle Comedy Festival in Derry, Merchant City Festival in Glasgow, Edinburgh Fringe Festival and Glasgow International Comedy Festival. Elaine gigs all over the UK including regular appearances at the Stand comedy clubs, and made her international comedy debut at New York Comedy Festival in November 2012. She has written for and performed in various sketch groups including the Stockholm Syndrome and Alchemy (Brown Eyed Boy productions). Elaine was nominated for a Scottish Variety Award in 2010 and has also written for various BBC Radio channels. She has also been known to act, “Elaine Malcolmson’s beautifully macabre performance” Skinny.
Elaine is currently writing, among other things, a new solo show and another short play. Watch this space.
“bone-dry and talented…exquisite material” Edinburgh Evening News
“full of comedy life” Skinny
“a downbeat delight” List
“a terrific and unique stage persona” Broadway Baby
” a great writer of both drama and comedy” Skinny
All Kinds of Everything, Glasgow International Comedy Festival and Edinburgh Fringe, 2009. Co-writer and performer.
Electric Tales, Glasgow International Comedy Festival, 2010. Writer and performer.
Alchemy, Edinburgh Fringe, Co-writer and performer, 2011. Produced by Brown Eyed Boy.
Relevant Experience, Glasgow International Comedy Festival and Edinburgh Fringe, 2012. Solo show, writer and performer.
Commissioned, Glasgow International Comedy Festival, 2013 – 2018. Creator and host.
Arrangements, Glasgow International Comedy Festival and Edinburgh Fringe, 2015. Solo show, writer and performer. Review here
Meet me at the Old Dead Whale Carcass, Glasgow International Comedy Festival, 2017. Solo show, writer and performer.
Salad Spinner, Glasgow International Comedy Festival, 2018. Solo show, writer and performer.
Stockholm Syndrome, co-writer and performer, 2010-2012
Alchemy, co-writer and performer, 2011
Don’t Hang Up, writer, 2016/2017. Short play for Short Attention Span Theatre.
- Radio 4 Extra Stands Up (Radio 4 Extra)
- Breaking the News (Radio Scotland)
- The Shane Todd Show (Radio Ulster)
- Good Morning Scotland (Radio Scotland)
- Live at the Sunflower (Radio Ulster)
- A Funny Kind of Life and Death (Radio Scotland)
- What Women Want (BBC 2)
- Hardeep at The Stand (Radio Scotland)
- Timeline – Presenter (BBC 2)
- Soft Border Patrol – Penny (BBC One NI) clips
- Newsjack, BBC Radio 7 and BBC Radio 4 Extra (various)
- Swots, BBC Radio Scotland (2010)
- The Gates, BBC Radio Scotland (2012)
- The Skinny, magazine and online (various 2009-2013)
- Standard Issue, online magazine (various 2014-2017)
- Timeline, BBC 2 (2017)
- Breaking the News, BBC Radio Scotland (various)
- The Now Show, Radio 4 (2018)
- Ghostwriter – anywhere between Casper and The Shining including award winning stand up show (2017) and one of The Independent’s best jokes of the Fringe (2018).
- Nivea Funny Women Awards, Finalist, 2008
- Scottish Variety Awards, Best New Comedian, Nominee, 2010